~ By CHARLES FERNANDEZ
THE Bukit Antarabangsa landslide tragedy which claimed three lives last month was enough to send shivers through residents living on hillside developments.
Their paranoia is understandable and even the slightest cracks on the walls can now give them sleepless nights.
Serdang MP Teo Nie Ching (fourth from left) helping to load belongings of one of the affected familiy into a lorry in Taman Bukit Mewah
At Taman Bukit Mewah, Kajang, five out of eight families decided to pack up and leave when they discovered cracks on the walls of their houses.
The cracks are not recent and first appeared eight years ago. However, they have worsened over time and the authorities have urged the families to move out for safety reasons.
Following the appearance of the cracks in 1999, Ikram was called in to conduct a survey to determine the stability of the slope and the cause of the damage to the affected units along Jalan Bukit Mewah 20 and 21.
Ikram confirmed that the cracks were due to soil movement under the affected units caused by a poor underground drainage system and that more houses were in danger of cracking up if immediate action was not taken to resolve the problems.
The Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) appointed a contractor and requested the developer to bear part of the costs of repairs and maintenance of the affected units. However, the latter refused as they claimed the houses were more than ten years old.
The developer, however, agreed to fork out RM140,000 towards the maintenance and repair of the drainage system on the hill slope.
In spite of these efforts, cracks still appeared at more houses.
“We have asked the families who feel unsafe to temporarily move out to transit homes provided by the MPKj in Section 16, Bandar Baru Bangi,’’ Serdang MP Teo Nie Ching said.
Teo, who was at Bukit Mewah with her team of DAPSY (DAP’s youth wing) members from Serdang and Hulu Langat to assist families in moving out, said a special committee had been set up to look into the affairs of the affected families and monitor the situation at the area.
She said a meeting has been fixed for Jan 7 to discuss further action and assistance to be provided to the affected families.
Teo added that they would have a complete report of the findings and a list of families who needed to be vacated within a week.
“This would be announced at the meeting,’’ she said.
Article taken from The Star.